使用chrome瀏覽器,輕鬆學英文。

如有任何問題,歡迎聯絡我們

「低頭族的英文怎麼說?」- Phubbing: A Word Is Born


框選或點兩下字幕可以直接查字典喔!

It seems that since the arrival of the smartphone in 2007, we've seen the arrival of a new problem, a uniquely 21st-century problem. While the world has gotten a lot more connected, people have become more disconnected, losing the art of conversation and real human interaction.
似乎自從2007年智慧型手機的降臨以來,我們已目睹一個新問題的到來,一個特殊的二十一世紀問題。雖然世界變得更加連結起來,人們卻變得越來越失聯,失去了對話及真正人際互動的藝術。

The problem? Ignoring the person in front of you in favor of your smartphone. Just about everyone does it.
問題出在哪呢?忽略你面前的人,站在你的智慧型手機那邊。大概就是所有人都這麼做。

But if these behaviors has become such a big issue, why weren't we talking about it? Well, probably because there wasn't a word for it until now.
但如果這些行為已經成為這麼一件大事,為什麼我們沒在談論它呢?這個嘛,也許因為沒有一個形容它的字,直到現在才有。

I don't know if you know what phubbing is.
我不曉得你們是否知道「低頭」是什麼。
That phubbing is...
「低頭」是...
Phubbing—a term you may not have heard of.
低頭--一個你也許沒聽過的詞彙。
Phub-bing.
低、頭。
Phubbing!
低頭!
Almost varying degrees of phubbing...
幾乎有不同程度的低頭現象...
You've just been phubbed.
你才剛被「低頭」了。

Ok, stop! Take a step back. Where do words like this even come from? Where did this one come from?
好的,停止!退個一步。像這樣的字到底從哪來的?這一個字打哪來的呢?

Well, on an otherwise unremarkable day in May 2012, a group of people gathered at the University of Sydney, Australia. Amongst the group was a lexicologist, a phonetician, a debating champion, a poet, several authors, and a cruciverbalist—that's a professional crossword maker. Their mission was to create a word that would get people to put their phones down, and get talking to each other again. And so, with a room full of brilliant minds, the search for word to describe ignoring others in favor of your phone began.
嗯,在2012年五月一個除了這件事以外,一切都很普通的一天,一群人聚集在澳洲雪梨大學。在那團隊之中有一名詞彙學家、一名語音學家、一位辯論冠軍、一位詩人、幾個作家,還有一個填字遊戲專家--那是專業的填字遊戲出題者。他們的任務是要創造出一個可以讓人們放下手機,再次和彼此說話的字。所以,帶著一屋子滿滿的聰明腦袋,找尋形容「忽略他人、站在你的手機那邊」的字開始了。

Phubbing. And he's a phubber. And would you stop phubbing me?
低頭。他是個低頭族。你可以不要再對我低頭了嗎?

The word was released into the wild the following day, seeded into social conversations, and championed by a new movement known simply as "Stop Phubbing."
這個字在隔天被釋出到外頭、播種在社交對話中、並被一個單單以「停止低頭」為人所知的全新運動所擁護。

From its country of origin it spread, first, through the English-speaking world, then Brazil, and right through South and Central America. Europe was next, followed by Southeast and Central Asia. Within a year, over 180 countries were using it.
從它的原產國開始傳佈,第一,穿過英語系國家、然後巴西、接著直直傳過中南美。歐洲是下一站,接著是東南亞和中亞。在一年內,超過180個國家都在用它。

Phubbing: The war against anti-social phone use.
低頭:打擊反社交手機使用的戰爭。
Why the "Stop Phubbing" campaign is going viral?
為什麼「停止低頭」運動流行起來?
Phubbing can be "phatal."
低頭可以是致命的(註一)。
Are you a phubber?
你是低頭族嗎?
The backlash against phubbing.
對抗低頭的反對聲浪。

Ignoring the person in front of you in favor of your phone was now a behavior with a name, and a behavior being questioned right around the globe, all because of a single word, a single word born in a university hall at the bottom of the world.
忽略面前的人、站在你的手機那邊現在是一個有名字的行為了,也是一個就在世界各處被質疑的行為,全都因為一個字,一個在世界盡頭的大學講堂內誕生的字。

Language is always changing. Update your dictionary.
語言永遠在改變。更新你的辭典。

註一:此處是取 ph 發音和 f 一樣的特色,將原本是 fatal(致命的)單字變成 phatal,以和 phubbing 押頭韻。

播放本句

登入使用學習功能

使用Email登入

YOUTUBELEARN播放器使用小提示

  • 功能簡介

    單句重覆、上一句、下一句:顧名思義,以句子為單位重覆播放,單句重覆鍵顯示橘色時為重覆播放狀態;顯示灰色時為正常播放狀態。按上一句鍵、下一句鍵時就會自動重覆播放該句。
    收錄佳句:點擊可增減想收藏的句子。

    中、英文字幕開關:中、英文字幕按鍵為綠色為開啟,灰色為關閉。鼓勵大家搞懂每一句的內容以後,關上字幕聽聽看,會發現自己好像在聽中文說故事一樣,會很有成就感喔!
    收錄單字:用滑鼠框選英文單字可以收藏不會的單字。
  • 分享
    如果您覺得本篇短片很有趣或很喜歡,在短片結束時有分享連結,可以分享給朋友一同欣賞,一起看YouTube學英文!

    或是您有收錄很優秀的句子時,也可以分享佳句給大家,一同看佳句學英文!