使用chrome瀏覽器,輕鬆學英文。

如有任何問題,歡迎聯絡我們

希平方
攻其不背
App 開放下載中
希平方
攻其不背
App 開放下載中

「拜託!到底誰才是專家呀?!」- The Expert


框選或點兩下字幕可以直接查字典喔!

Our company has a new strategic initiative to increase market penetration, maximize brand loyalty, and enhance intangible assets. In pursuit of these objectives, we've started a new project for which we require seven red lines. I understand your company can help us in this matter.
為了增加市場滲透率、最大化品牌忠誠度、加強無形資產,敝公司有個新的策略性創舉。為了追求這些目標,我們已開始一項新企劃,為了那項企劃我們需要七條紅線。我了解貴公司能夠在這方面幫助我們。

Of course! Walter here will be the Project Manager. Walter, we can do this, can't we?
當然!這裡的Walter是專案經理。Walter,我們可以做這個,可以嗎?

Yes, of course. Anderson here is our expert in all matters related to drawing red lines. We've brought him along today to share his professional opinion.
是的,當然。這裡的Anderson是我們所有與畫紅線相關事務的專家。我們今天也帶他一起過來分享他專業的看法。

Nice to meet you! Well, you all know me. This is Justine, our company's design specialist.
很高興見到你!嗯,你們全都認識我。這是Justine,敝公司的設計專員。

Hello!
哈囉!

We need you to draw seven red lines, all of them strictly perpendicular, some with green ink and some with transparent. Can you do that?
我們需要你畫七條紅線,它們全部都要完全垂直,有些用綠色墨水、有些用透明墨水畫。你可以做到嗎?

No, I'm afraid...
不,我怕...

Let's not rush into any hasty answers, Anderson! The task has been set and needs to be carried out. At the end of the day, you are an expert.
先別妄下任何急促的答案,Anderson!任務已經設定,且需要被執行。到頭來,你是一名專家。

The term "red line" implies the color of the line to be red. To draw a red line with green ink is, well if it's not exactly impossible, it's pretty close to being impossible.
「紅線」這詞意指線條的顏色是紅的。要用綠色墨水畫出紅線是,這麼說吧,如果不是完全不可能的,也是滿接近不可能的任務。

What does that even mean? Impossible?
那到底是什麼意思?不可能?

I mean, it is possible that there are some people, say, suffering from color blindness, for whom the color of the lines doesn't really make a difference. But I'm quite sure that the target audience of your project doesn't consist solely of such people.
我是說,有可能有些人,比如說,罹患色盲症,對他們來說線條的顏色並不會有什麼差異。但我滿確定你們企劃的目標群眾並非完全由這種人組成的。

So in principle this is possible.
所以原則上來說是有可能的。

I'll simplify. A line as such can be drawn with absolutely any ink, but if you want to get a red line, you need to use red ink.
我會簡化。一條像這樣的線可以當然用任何一種墨水畫出來,但如果你想要一條紅線,你需要用紅墨水。

What if we draw them with blue ink?
如果我們用藍墨水畫呢?

It still won't work. If you use blue ink, you will get blue lines. And what exactly did you mean when you talked about the transparent ink?
它還是行不通。如果你用藍墨水,你就會得到藍線。那當你提到透明墨水時,你確切的意思是什麼?

How to better explain?
怎麼樣才能更清楚解釋呢?

I'm sure you know what "transparent" means?
我相信你知道「透明」是什麼意思?

Yes, I do.
是的,我知道。

And what a "red line" means, I hope I don't need to explain to you?
還有「紅線」是什麼意思,我希望我不需要解釋給你聽吧?

Of course not.
當然不用。

Well, you need to draw red lines with transparent ink.
嗯,你需要用透明墨水來畫紅線。

Could you describe what you imagine the end result would look like?
你可以形容一下你想像中的最後結果看起來是什麼樣子嗎?

Come on, Anderson! What have we got here, kindergarten?
拜託,Anderson!我們這裡是什麼,幼稚園嗎?

No, I'm trying to get the...
不是,我是試著要...

Let's not waste our time with these unproductive quarrels. The task has been set; the task is plain and clear. Now, if you have any specific questions, then go ahead!
我們別浪費時間在這些沒生產力的爭論上了。任務已經設定,任務很直接又明白。現在,如果你還有任何具體的問題,就問吧!

You're the expert here!
你是這裡的專家!

Alright, let's leave aside the color for the moment. You had something there also relating to perpendicularity?
好的,我們把顏色先稍稍擱到一邊。你這裡也有一些關於垂直的問題吧?

Seven lines, all strictly perpendicular.
七條線,全都完全垂直。

To what?
垂直在哪?

To everything, amongst themselves. I assumed you know what perpendicular lines are like!
到處都垂直,在它們七條線之間。我想你知道垂直線長怎樣吧!

Of course he does. He's an expert!
當然他知道。他是位專家!

Two lines can be perpendicular. All seven can't be simultaneously perpendicular to each other.
兩條線可以垂直。所有七條線不能同時彼此垂直。

I'll show you. This is a line, right?
我畫給你看。這是條線,對吧?

Yes.
是的。

And another one. Is it perpendicular to the first line?
另外一條。它有沒有和第一條垂直呢?

Well...
這個嘛...

Yes, it is perpendicular.
是的,是垂直的。

Exactly!
沒錯!

Wait, wait, I'm not done. And a third one, is it perpendicular to the first line? Yes, it is! But it doesn't cross the second line. They're both parallel. Not perpendicular!
等等,我還沒畫完。第三條,它和第一條有垂直嗎?是的,它是的!但它並沒有穿過第二條線。它們是平行的。沒有垂直!

I suppose so.
我想是吧?

There it is. Two lines can be perpendicular...
就是這樣。兩條線可以是垂直的...

Can I have the pen? How about this?
我可以借個筆嗎?這樣如何?

This is a triangle. It's definitely not perpendicular lines, and there are three, not seven.
這是個三角形。它絕對不是垂直線,且是三條,不是七條。

Why are they blue?
為什麼它們是藍色的?

Indeed, wanted to ask that myself.
確實,我自己也想問。

I have a blue pen with me. This was just a demonstration...
我帶了一支藍筆。這只是示範一下...

That's the problem. Your lines are blue. Draw them with red ink!
那就是問題所在。你的線條是藍色的。用紅墨水畫它們!

It won't solve the problem.
那不會解決問題啊。

But how do you know before you've tried? Let's draw them with red ink and then let's see.
但你還沒試怎麼知道?用紅色墨水畫它們然後來看看結果。
I don't have a red pen with me, but I'm completely certain that with red ink the result will still be the same.
我身上沒有紅筆,但我完全肯定用紅墨水結果還是一樣的。

Didn't you tell us earlier that you can only draw red lines with red ink? In fact, yes, I've written that down here! And now you want to draw them with blue ink. Do you want us to call these red lines?
你稍早不是才跟我們說你只能用紅墨水畫出紅線嗎?事實上,是的,我在這裡寫下來了!現在你想要用藍色墨水畫出它們。你想要我們叫這些紅線嗎?

I think I understand. You're not talking about the color now, right? You're talking about that, what do you call it? Per-pern-dick...
我想我了解了。你現在不是在講顏色,對吧?你在講那個,你怎麼叫它?垂、垂、直...

Perpendicularity, yes!
垂直線,是的!

That's it! Now you've confused everyone. So what exactly is stopping us from doing this?
夠了!現在你把大家都搞混淆了。所以到底是什麼阻礙我們做這件事?

Geometry.
幾何學。

Just ignore it!
就忽略它!

We have a task. Seven red lines. It's not twenty; it's just seven. Anderson, I understand you're a specialist of a narrow field. You don't see the overall picture. But surely it's not a difficult task to draw some seven lines!
我們有個任務。七條紅線。不是二十條、只是七條。Anderson,我了解你是一個小領域的專家。你並沒有看到整體狀況。但當然畫出某七條線不是一項困難的工作!

Exactly. Suggest a solution that any fool can criticize, no offence. But you're an expert. You should know better!
沒錯。提出一個任何笨蛋都能評論的解決方式,沒有冒犯的意思。但你是個專家。你應該更清楚!

OK. Let me draw you two perfectly perpendicular red lines, and I will draw the rest with transparent ink. They'll be invisible, but I'll draw them.
好的。讓我畫給你們兩條完美垂直的紅線,然後我會用透明墨水畫出剩下的線。它們會是隱形的,但我會畫它們。

Would this suit us? Yes, this will suit us.
這合我們的意嗎?是的,這合我們的意。

Yes, but at least a couple with green ink. Oh, and I have another question, if I may. Can you draw one of the lines in the form of a kitten?
是的,但至少有些用綠墨水。喔,我還有另一個問題,如果我可以問的話。你可以把其中一條線化成小貓的形狀嗎?

A what?
什麼的形狀?

In the form of a kitten. Market research tells our users like cute animals. It'd be really great if...
小貓的形狀。市場調查告訴我們我們的使用者喜歡可愛的動物。那會很棒如果...

No...
不行...

But... but why?
但...但為何?

Look, I can of course draw you a cat. I'm no artist, but I can give it a try, but it won't be a line any more. It will be a cat. A line and a cat—these are two different things!
是這樣的,我當然可以畫隻貓給你。我不是藝術家,但我可以試一試,但那就不再是一條線了。它會是一隻貓。一條線和一支貓--這些是兩個不同的東西!

A kitten. Not a cat, but a kitten. The little, cute, cuddly. Cats, on the other hand...
小貓。不是貓,而是小貓。小小隻的、可愛的、讓人想抱抱的。貓咪呢,另一方面...

It won't make a difference.
那沒有差。

Anderson, at least hear her out! She hasn't even finished speaking, and you're already saying, "No!"
Anderson,至少聽她說完!她甚至還沒說完,你就已經在說「不」了!

I got the idea, but it is impossible to draw a line in the form of a cat...ten.
我懂她的意思,但不可能畫出一條形狀是小...貓的線。

What about a bird?
那一隻鳥呢?

So, where did we stop? What are we doing?
所以,我們剛講到哪?我們在說什麼?
Seven red lines, two with red ink, two with green ink and the rest with transparent. Did I understand correctly?
七條紅線,兩條用紅墨水,兩條用綠墨水,剩下用透明墨水。我理解正確嗎?

Yes.
是的。

Excellent! In which case that's everything, right?
很好!也就是說那是全部的細節了,對吧?

I almost forgot, we also have a red balloon. Do you know if you could inflate it?
我差點忘了,我們也有一顆紅氣球。你知道是否可以幫它充氣嗎?

What do I have to do with balloons?
我要拿氣球做啥?

It's red.
那是紅色的。

Anderson, can you or can you not do this? It's a simple question.
Anderson,你可不可以做這件事?這是個很簡單的問題。

As such, I can of course.
這樣的話,我當然可以。

Excellent. Organize a business trip. We'll cover the expenses, go over to their location, inflate the balloon. Well, this is very productive, thank you all!
太好了。安排出差。我們會負擔支出,到它們的地點,幫氣球充氣。嗯,這非常有生產力,感謝你們大家!

Can I ask one more question, please? When you inflate the balloon, could you do it in the form of a kitten?
請問我可以再問一個問題嗎?當你幫氣球充氣時,你可以用小貓的形狀充氣嗎?

Of course I can! I can do anything, I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
當然我可以!我可以做任何事,我絕對可以做任何事。我是個專家!

  • 「帶來」- Bring Along

    We've brought him along today to share his professional opinion.
    我們今天也帶他一起過來分享他專業的看法。

  • 「到頭來、最後」- At The End Of The Day

    The task has been set and needs to be carried out. At the end of the day, you are an expert.
    任務已經設定,且需要被執行。到頭來,你是一名專家。

  • 「聽完」- Hear Out

    Anderson, at least hear her out! She hasn't even finished speaking, and you're already saying, "No!"
    Anderson,至少聽她說完!她甚至還沒說完,你就已經在說「不」了!

播放本句

登入使用學習功能

使用Email登入

HOPE English 播放器使用小提示

  • 功能簡介

    單句重覆、上一句、下一句:顧名思義,以句子為單位重覆播放,單句重覆鍵顯示橘色時為重覆播放狀態;顯示灰色時為正常播放狀態。按上一句鍵、下一句鍵時就會自動重覆播放該句。
    收錄佳句:點擊可增減想收藏的句子。

    中、英文字幕開關:中、英文字幕按鍵為綠色為開啟,灰色為關閉。鼓勵大家搞懂每一句的內容以後,關上字幕聽聽看,會發現自己好像在聽中文說故事一樣,會很有成就感喔!
    收錄單字:用滑鼠框選英文單字可以收藏不會的單字。
  • 分享
    如果您覺得本篇短片很有趣或很喜歡,在短片結束時有分享連結,可以分享給朋友一同欣賞,一起看YouTube學英文!

    或是您有收錄很優秀的句子時,也可以分享佳句給大家,一同看佳句學英文!